SMM2022 will be the very first fully hybrid, live-virtual conference of the Society of Marine Mammalogy, and will attract the largest number of attendees since the first conference held in Santa Cruz in 1975.
Our conference will attract eminent scientists and leaders from developed and developing nations alike to help chart a path of multidisciplinary research and collaboration now and for the next generation of researchers.
We expect participants from at least 30 countries that will share the most recent scientific information and engage in discussions on marine mammals from around the world. Critical and pressing conservation issues will also be discussed to advise governments and various agencies from around the globe on the most significant threats affecting these species and their habitats.
The SMM2022 conference committee will grant complimentary media passes to qualified media professionals who wish to attend and cover our conference. If you would like to be a part of our conference, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your eligibility information to be considered for a complimentary media pass to the conference.
- Includes creators of long-form stories or compositions about marine sciences, such as books or feature-length documentary films.
- Must present evidence of a current project in the marine sciences or a project in the marine sciences published in the past year.
- Includes freelance journalists who regularly report or produce news on the marine sciences for a recognized news media outlet that engages in reporting and distributing information directly to the general public.
- Must present three (3) bylined news reports in the marine sciences intended for the general public and published in the past year.
- Includes science communicators and writers of recognized scientific societies, educational institutions, government agencies and non-profit marine science research organizations whose primary role focuses on communicating science with the public.
- Must show evidence of three (3) bylined, original news or feature stories in the marine sciences published in the past year and intended for the general public.
- SMM2022 provides complimentary press registration to professional journalists representing media organizations for the express purpose of gathering news and information to produce media coverage of the SMM2022 Biennial Conference. Freelance journalists, photographers, videographers, bloggers, authors, filmmakers, public information officers and institutional writers may also be eligible to receive complimentary press registration.
- Includes journalists who regularly report, edit or produce news on the marine and ocean conservation sciences and are employed at a recognized news media outlet (newspaper, wire service, magazine, radio, television or online media outlet) that engages in reporting and distributing information directly to the general public. Media outlets associated with advocacy organizations must be explicitly editorially independent of the advocacy organization.
- Must present a press card, business card or webpage of a recognized media outlet stating their name, title and affiliation; or a letter from an editor of a recognized news media outlet assigning coverage of SMM2022.
- Includes photo and video journalists whose primary purpose is news gathering and dissemination, and who regularly produce images and/or video for recognized news media outlets that distribute information directly to the general public.
- Must present a press card, business card or webpage of a recognized media outlet stating their name, title and affiliation; a letter from an editor of a recognized news media outlet assigning coverage of the conference; or a portfolio of work that includes images and video of news reports on the marine sciences.
- Includes public information and press officers of recognized scientific societies, educational institutions, government agencies and non-profit marine research organizations whose primary role focuses on communicating science with the press or public, and are attending the meeting to facilitate interaction between scientists and journalists.
- Must present a business card or webpage clearly showing job position, a letter from a supervisor describing job duties or a recent sample of relevant material distributed to the press, such as a news release.
- Includes writers for recognized, editorially-independent blogs that have been in existence for at least one year, have a readership of at least 3,000 unique visitors or sessions per month, and regularly produce original news content in the marine sciences. Blogs should have editorial freedom from advertising sponsors and sponsors must be clearly identified. Corporate-owned blogs and personal blogs are ineligible for press credentials.
- Must present evidence of three (3) bylined news posts in the marine sciences in the past year and a screen shot of blog analytics covering the period of the past year showing the number of unique visitors or users per month. (Click here for an example.) The SMM2022 Media Committee may, on a case-by-case basis, weigh a bloggers’ social media following in determining eligibility for registration.
Representatives of publishing houses, the business side of news media, political action committees or similar, and for-profit corporations, will not be accredited as press and will not be eligible for complimentary press registration. Editors of journals or other publications who do not report for or edit their outlet’s news section will also not be accredited as press and are not eligible for complimentary press registration.Press registrants receive, at no charge, a badge that provides access to all scientific sessions, the press room and the press conference room. Some Biennial Conference events and activities, including but not limited to invitation-only events, special dinners and communications workshops, are not open to press badge holders. Scientists who will be presenting at the meeting and who are also reporting from the meeting for a recognized media outlet may also be issued press credentials at the discretion of the SMM2022 Media Liaison. Anyone who presents at the meeting must also register for the meeting and pay the appropriate fee as a presenter. These registrants should first register as press and indicate that they are also a presenter on their press registration form. These registrants should not register as a presenter until after being contacted by a member of the SMM2022 Media Liaison who will provide additional information for registering as a presenter.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Will there be a press room?
To help you report on newsworthy scientific findings presented at the meeting, SMM2022 conference media liaison will be available to provide daily press summaries and connect reporters, press officers, bloggers and others with our special guests and keep members of the media apprised of recent and upcoming noteworthy highlights.
Will press releases or press conferences be made available to the media?
SMM2022 will make copies of media stories and press releases about developments in marine mammal science and other news presented at the meeting available to members of the media through the conference’s online media section and in person during the conference. We will also post a detailed conference schedule online and upload it to our app at least a week before the meeting’s scientific sessions begin.
Will there be quiet rooms or a designated place for scientists to meet with journalists?
We will coordinate opportunities for members of the media to meet with our special guests and presenters just prior to and during the conference. Check back here for more information about quiet rooms and arranging meetings with our special guests closer to the meeting.