Volunteer sign-up is still open via the conference software!
We require volunteers to help with a number of tasks, from little to big, and both before and during the conference.
Dedication and hard work on behalf of volunteers is essential to making this conference a success!
We appreciate your interest in getting involved!
VOLUNTEERING AT SMM2022
INCENTIVES FOR VOLUNTEERING
Besides the feel-good emotions associated with giving back to your marine mammal community and a stylish volunteer garment, if you are able to volunteer a minimum of 12 hours of your time, you can apply for a volunteer position to receive a reimbursement towards your conference registration costs. Student members will be reimbursed their full conference registration ($150 USD), low income country members will be reimbursed their full conference registration ($225 USD), and full members will be reimbursed $200 USD of their conference registration.
REQUIREMENTS TO VOLUNTEER
The following are the requirements to receive a registration reimbursement for the conference:
- You must be a current member of the Society for Marine Mammalogy and be registered for the conference by the Early-Bird Registration deadline on March 1 , 2022 at 12pm (noon) EDT (GMT-4).
- Volunteers are required to work for at least 12 hours ON-SITE in West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S. between August 1-5, 2022 to be eligible for a registration reimbursement.
- Volunteer shifts are usually not less than 4 straight hours and may start as early as 7:00 AM and end as late as 11:00 PM (EST).
- Fluent in English (other languages are very helpful!).
- There will be a mandatory volunteer training on Sunday, July 31.
- Student members will be reimbursed their full conference registration ($150 USD), low income country members will be reimbursed their full conference registration ($225 USD), and full members will be reimbursed $200 USD of their conference registration. All your shifts must be covered to receive reimbursement. All refunds will be issued AFTER THE CONFERENCE once all volunteer shifts are complete.
Volunteers, like all conference delegates, will also be able to purchase any extras (e.g. closing celebration tickets or other conference merchandise) using the same method as other delegates via the normal conference login.
Volunteers not in need of registration reimbursement are welcome to apply. Please be sure to let the volunteer coordinator know if this is the case.
Volunteers will wear identifying garments provided by the SMM2022 Committee during their shifts. Tasks may include, but are not limited to, assisting with:
- Conference Events (e.g. PODs)
- Greetings, directions and general information
- Help Desk
- Merchandise Sales
- Pre-conference online support
- Poster Session (i.e. set-up and take-down)
- Registration Desk
- Room Monitor at plenary sessions, concurrent sessions and awards ceremony
- Welcoming Reception/Closing Celebration
More information on volunteer shift scheduling will be available after the volunteer selection process is complete.
HOW WILL VOLUNTEERS BE SELECTED?
Volunteers will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis, and the planning committee has the right to refuse a volunteer. Both successful and unsuccessful applicants will be notified shortly after submitting their application.
HOW DO I APPLY?
VOLUNTEER SIGN-UP IS NOW OPEN! Sign-up opened June 29, 2021 at 12 (noon) EDT (GMT-4)!
In order to complete the volunteer application, please login to SMM and then move to the conference software. The volunteer application will be available on the profile home page of the conference software. Click HERE to login to SMM.
Please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. The conference Planning Committee and Society Board have the right to refuse a volunteer.