Volunteer sign-up will open in June, 2021. Date to be announced.
We require volunteers to help with a number of tasks, from little to big, and both before and during the conference.
Dedication and hard work on behalf of volunteers is essential to making this conference a success!
We appreciate your interest in getting involved!
VOLUNTEERING AT SMM2021
INCENTIVES FOR VOLUNTEERING
Besides the feel-good emotions associated with giving back to your marine mammal community and a stylish volunteer garment, if you are able to volunteer a minimum of 12 hours of your time, you can apply for a volunteer position to receive a reimbursement towards your conference registration costs. Student members will be reimbursed their full conference registration ($150 USD), low income country members will be reimbursed their full conference registration ($225 USD), and full members will be reimbursed $200 USD of their conference registration.
REQUIREMENTS TO VOLUNTEER
The following are the requirements to volunteer and receive a registration reimbursement for the conference:
- You must be a current member of The Society for Marine Mammalogy.
- A full 5-day registration must be completed and paid for in order to apply to a volunteer position.
- Fluent English is required.
- Volunteers are required to attend an in-person training at the conference.
- Volunteers are required to work a minimum of 12 hours, likely spread over 3-4 shifts. If you wish to contribute additional hours or shifts that would be greatly appreciated; however, additional hours will not be reimbursed.
- You will be asked to indicate your availability on the application form. If you submitted an abstract, you will be asked your presentation type (oral, poster, video, or unknown). This will enable us to ensure you are not scheduled to volunteer at the same time as your presentation.
- Volunteers will receive shift assignments by the end of October. If there is a conflict with your presentation, please arrange to trade shifts with another volunteer and notify the volunteer coordinator immediately, firstname.lastname@example.org. All your shifts must be covered to receive a reimbursement.
Volunteers, like all conference delegates, will also be able to purchase any extras (e.g. closing celebration tickets or other conference merchandise) using the same method as other delegates via the normal conference login.
Volunteers not in need of registration reimbursement are welcome to apply. Please be sure to let the volunteer coordinator know if this is the case.
Volunteers will wear identifying garments provided by the SMM2021 Committee during their shifts. Tasks may include assisting with:
- Poster Session (i.e. set-up and take-down)
- Room Monitor at plenary sessions, concurrent sessions and awards ceremony
- Greetings, directions and general information
- Registration Desk
- Help Desk
- Merchandise Sales
- Welcoming Reception/Closing Celebration
- Conference Events (e.g. PODs)
HOW DO I APPLY?
The volunteer application process will open in June, 2021. Date to be announced.
More information available soon!